Thursday, March 3, 2011

Minding your p's and q's

We as teachers have to abide by what some people may think of as a double standard.  As educators, we have to maintain a professional demeanor in the public eye, and be careful of how we are presenting ourselves on personal time, even if all laws are abided--for example, being over the age of 21 and attending a wine-tasting where the general public may see you.  I have wanted to have my own blog for some time, but was having a hard time determining the topic(s) I would write about, because I would ultimately be writing about my career.  I know that I have to be cautious and diplomatic in what I post--so don't expect any detailed stories about where I work or the students I work with!  I do like my job, and don't want to have a foot-in-mouth moment that I will come to regret.  Here are several examples of other teachers who have been in the news due to blogs and/or commentary they have made on their own time:

Teacher fired over bumper sticker

School Lunch Blog

Teacher suspended over blog comments


Now, I should clarify, the teacher who blogs about school lunch has not been reprimanded, suspended or fired, but she does mention throughout the blog that she is nervous she will be.  What are your opinions?  Did these teachers deserve the reprimand they received or were worried about, or were they justified in their opinions and their schools overreacted?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...